Monday, March 17, 2014

Living with Psoriasis

So here is my story, I have had mild scalp psoriasis since I was a teenager.  In the last couple years, it has spread to my ears but has remained relatively hidden, or at least I had hoped so.  There have been times when it has almost cleared up (during the summer, while eating Paleo) and times when it 'flares' (during winter or stressful times). My Psoriasis has been pretty easy to manage/ignore and has not had much of an effect on my self-confidence or quality of life.... until now.
Ever since I gave birth to our wonderful baby boy in December, my Psoriasis has gotten much, much worse.  I'm not sure if it is a result of the physical trauma of childbirth and surgery, the change in my hormones, or the change in my diet and sleep habits. It has spread all over my body to my face, chest, elbows, and legs.  Not only is it now highly visible, it has also become unbearably itchy!!! My sleep has been greatly effected by it. Apparently many women go through this, as I have learned from reading anecdotal evidence on he internet.
 
According to the medical community there is no cure for psoriasis, only ways to control it.  I am reluctant to use medicated creams or oral medication while breastfeeding so I am going to try some more natural alternatives instead. I am going to document my journey as best I can in the hopes that it will help me identify if I am making progress.  Stay tuned for updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment