Saturday, February 4, 2012

What I'm Up To - Week #2

(Please see the bottom of this post for a blurb about the unintended benefits of my "What I'm Up To' posts)

What I'm Making: I started a beginners knitting class this week and I am proud to say that I am working on my very first knitting project! I just knew I would love knitting and boy was my hunch right on :)  This little piece will eventually turn into a pouch/mini purse type thing, I can't wait to show you my finished product next week.

I also made a pencil holder that I featured previously in my cubicle makeover post:

What I'm Watching:  I haven't watched a single TV show or movie this week. Luckily, I've been to busy reading and creating, which I don't mind at all.

What I'm Listening To: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (self titled album).  It is rare that I like every, single song on album, but this one is a special case apparently.  I loved Oasis as a kid and this new group appeals to me even more, if that's even possible.

What I'm Reading: Still finishing up 'The Conqueror' By Conn Iggulden... I"m taking my time because I don't want the series to end.

What I'm Eating: We tried some tangelos this week, because citrus fruit is in season, but we found the bag to be 'hit and miss.' Some were juicy but others were dry and shriveled and none of them were very sweet.

I am loving the new vanilla rooibos tea I've been drinking at work though, very subtle and no caffeine, which I find just perfect.

What's Inspiring Me:  'Nature Moms Blog' - I feel like this blog was made for me, specifically!  It contains list after list of useful, practical, green, healthy, and minimalist ideas.  She also reviews books, and products that actually appeal to me, I am forever clicking on her links and being rewarded for it.

What's Making Me Smile: One thing that I am super excited about (to say the least) is the new 'Couples Budget' I have started this month. Luke has finally agreed to let me track our spending and to create a realistic budget for the two of us.  I downloaded a free office program called Open Office (which is making me smile in its own right) and just had a ball creating spreadsheets.  I am a huge numbers geek and can't think of anything more fun than analyzing our finances and keeping a budget. I have been eagerly awaiting this moment for a long time and I am so very happy that its finally here!

Oh, and of course, I have to mention finishing my cubicle makeover, you can see my full post here.  Not only was it fun to do, my personalized environment certainly helps keep my spirits up at work.
 An un-intended benefit of my 'What I'm Up To Posts':
Now that I have this list of categories to fill out at the end of the week, it has really made me aware of how easily I get stuck in ruts, reading/listening/watching the same things.  It  also makes me aware of the weeks where my free time becomes very one-sided and un-balanced.  

Having a way to acknowledge and track how I’m spending my free time, what I’m eating, and what’s making me happy, has really helped me identify what is important to me at this time in my life.  It has also inspired me to become more diverse, to branch out, and to try new things as often as possible.  I think I will be doing this weekly feature for quite some time, I really enjoy the writing process and the resulting benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment